Purification and wudu
  • I would like to know the the rulings, procedure, method of Fard Ghusl and when to perform wudu in fard ghusl as well as the dressing / undressing issue as and cutting nails and fard ghusl on same day and within what time does it have to be completed?
  • 10 Comments sorted by
  • GhuslWhat makes Ghusl Fard?

On five occasions the Ghusl is Fard.

1) Release of sperm with pleasure. If jumped from a higher place or lifted heavier stuff which caused sperm to discharge, Ghusl is not wajib but will break the Wazoo.
    2) Wet dream with semen discharge.
    3) When ever the tip of man's private part (mushroom) enters woman's private part.(Even with intention or without intention)
    4) Haiz (monthly period for women)
    5) Nafaas ( The release of blood after a woman gives birth)

Fards in Ghusl.

There are three fards in Ghusl.

1) To wash mouth with water as it should reach all the parts internally. From lips to the base of throat. If not fasting gargle. If there is any thing stuck in between teeth such as a piece of meat, paan, beetle nut; it should be removed before Ghusl or the Ghusl will not be completed.
    2) To wash inside of nose with water. Water should be pulled hard enough all the way to the soft part of the base of nose. If there is any dry phlegm (hard ratoobat) inside the nose it must be cleaned and if a the nose is pierced water should be forced into the hole or the Ghusl will not be completed.
    3) To wash the body once from head till the bottom of feet. The water must pour over body. Every strand (hair) and skin of the body must get wet. Even if a single strand or a small portion of skin is not washed the Ghusl will not be completed.

Sunnats in Ghusl.

1) To perform a ghusl in the sunnat, we must first wash both of our hands and privates parts even if they may be clean, then if there any najasat (impurity) on our body, we must wash it away.
    2) We must perform a complete ablution.
    3) While washing our face we must intend to perform a ghusl.
    4) If water will not accumulate under our feet; we must wash our feet, too.
    5) We must pour water on our entire body three times. When you do this, we must pour it on our head three times first, then on our right shoulder three times and then on the left shoulder three times. Each time the part on which we pour water must become completely wet. We must also rub it gently, during the first pouring.
    6) In a ghusl, it is permissible to pour the water on the limb so as to make it flow onto another limb, which, in this case, will be cleaned, too. For in a ghusl the whole body is counted as a one limb. If in performing an ablution the water poured on one limb moistens another limb, the second limb will not be considered to have been washed.
    7) When a ghusl is completed it is makruh (things which our Prophet did not like) to perform an ablution. But it will become necessary to perform an ablution again if it is broken while making a ghusl.

• When to cut nails
    The Messenger of Allah (may Allah bless him and grant him peace) has said that, 'He who cuts his nails on Friday, will be in Allah's (The Exalted) protection for the following week. He who cuts his nails on a Saturday will be spared from illness, and he who cuts his nails on Sunday will have poverty taken away from him. If someone is mentally unstable then by cutting his nails on Monday, this illness will be cured. He who cuts his nails on a Tuesday will also be protected from illness. It is better not to cut nails on Wednesday as there are hadith for and against, as Imam Tahawi said, paring nails on Wednesdays can cause leprosy. To cut nails on Thursday will cure illness such as leprosy. '

Once a scholar trimmed his nails on a Wednesday as this hadith was weak (Dhaif) and not authentic (Sahih). As he did not practise even a weak hadith as a consequence he became leprosy. That night when he went to sleep he saw the Messenger of Allah (may Allah bless him and grant him peace) in his dream who said that, 'Did you not hear that I warned you against trimming your nails on Wednesday'' The scholar said, 'The hadith is weak.' The Messenger of Allah (may Allah bless him and grant him peace) said, 'Was it not sufficient that a hadith had reached you from me.' The Messenger of Allah (may Allah bless him and grant him peace) then wiped his blessed hands over the scholar curing him from his illness. The scholar repented and said that, 'I will never go against a hadith.' Subhanallah!

Method of cutting nails
    'Ali (may Allah be pleased with him) narrates the way of cutting the nails: FOR THE RIGHT HAND: start of with the index finger, forefinger, ring finger and little finger, then moving onto the LEFT HAND: little finger, ring finger, forefinger, index finger, thumb and lastly the thumb of the right hand. Then to wash the hands after cutting the nails.

• no u do not have to cut ur nails and do fard ghusl depends how big ur nails but u must perform fard ghusl if it is fard then must do it right away
  • PLEASE CONSULT WITH A MUFTI, SHAYKH OR SCHOLAR to answer other questions for thats there job
  • I am sorry for asking this really personal question but do we have to perform istinja after urinating?
    Before every wudu do we have to perform istinja? I get confused and sometimes I don't feel clean enough but to do the above so often is frustrating....
  • A question is a question, personal or nonpersonal. Istinja is performed after you have urinated or did stool (meaning poo). Doing istinja’ with water is better, because of the report narrated by Muslim (271) and al-Nasaa’i (45) from Anas ibn Maalik (may Allaah be pleased with him) who said: When I was a boy, when the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) entered the toilet I would carry a small vessel of leather filled with water, and he would clean himself with water. If water is not available then Istijmaar is valid whether one uses stones or tissue paper, even if water is available; there is no difference of opinion among the scholars on this point.

Ibn Qudaamah (may Allaah have mercy on him) said in al-Mughni (1/206):

If a person wants to do just one of them, then using water is better, because of the hadeeth that we have narrated, and because it purifies the place and removes the dirt itself and its traces, and is more cleansing.
    them).

After you have performed istinja or istijmaar then you may perform wudhu.
  • After having done the istinja to what extent should the left hand be washed, as sometimes I feel that its not clean enough and keep on washing and I guess interfering the wudu and wasting the prayer time
  • The left hand should be washed thoroughly. First wash your hands. Use hand soap or soap and rub your hands thoroughly and then wash your hands with water. If you smell anything bad from your hands or notice anything impure then you should keep on washing until you see no impurity and you smell the wonderful smell of the soap. It should take atleast 2 minutes. Do not waste water.
Love HOTD Join HOTD

Assalam Alaykum

Join one of these discussions or start a new one by signing in